Skip to main content

Ordnance Survey - Lanark county, OS Name Books - Lanark county - Volume 21 - Parish of Dalziel, OS1/21/21

Continued entries/extra info

Header: ]Page] 2 Co. Lanark Dalziel Parish Continued :- Hamilton Road, The principal antiquities in this Parish are the Roman Road called Watlin or Watling Street, The remains of a Roman camp on the banks of the Clyde & the old Towerhouse of Dalzell [ell is double underlined], near which is an Ancient Stone Cross. A Roman Bridge on the of the Roman Road , is thought to be of great antiquity. It is over the "South Calder Water". The principal Proprietor in this Parish is Captain Hamilton of Dalzell [ell is double underlined], M.P. whose estate, from which the Parish takes it's name , is now spelled differently both by himself and his Agents, but upon Captain Hamilton's authority it is done more from custom than preference of spelling.

[There is a further note which reads: Note: There is not any portion of the Parish of Dalziel detached within any other Parish; but there is a detached portion of Hamilton Parish contained within the bounds of this Parish]
The present mode of spelling the Parish name seems to be the modern as the Church Records from 1644 ( the oldest in the possesssion of the Parish) to 1797, spell it as Captain Hamilton's Estate is spelt.

Ordnance Survey - Lanark county, OS Name Books - Lanark county - Volume 21 - Parish of Dalziel, OS1/21/21

This volume contains information on place names found in the parish of Dalziel.

Ordnance Survey - Lanark county

Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the county of Lanark, which is in the west of Scotland. The boundaries of the county were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.

View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Lanark county