The Dundas Search Room in the ScotlandsPeople Centre has reopened for all customers with a restricted number of seats. Please note this is strictly by appointment only. Opening hours are 9:00 to 16:30, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.
Booking a seat
Our day search fee is £15. All payments must be received in advance of your booking.
Please note that:
- Credits purchased for the ScotlandsPeople website cannot be used to purchase day search places.
- Season tickets are not available due to the limited number of seats.
Access to the Dundas Search Room
Please do not visit us unless you have received an email confirming your booking
Wear a face covering in all communal areas in the building, but once seated in the Search Room there is no requirement to wear a face covering
To access the Dundas Search Room in New Register House please follow the directional signage through the Archivists’ Garden which is located behind General Register House. To ensure that our search rooms are safe for staff and visitors, we have made various changes to our service provision:
- The number of seats is restricted to 16 in order to maintain social distancing and allow for increased ventilation.
- You must comply with our National Records of Scotland Safe Visit Agreement.
- Please ensure that you maintain social distancing at all times.
- You may bring a laptop to type up notes about the records that you find.
- You may save copies of historical records to your account - the same pay-per-view charges apply.
- You may request microfiche copies of entries from the Adopted Children’s Register - a maximum of five microfiche per day is permitted.
The following are not currently available:
- Access to printers as we are currently in the process of replacing the equipment
- Reference Library books
- Access to microfilm
- The café
The ScotlandsPeople Centre - along with all our other search rooms and offices - is closed on certain public holidays. These dates for the period up to 31 January 2023 are:
- Queen's Platinum Jubilee holiday - Friday 3 June 2022
- Autumn holiday - Monday 19 September 2022
- Christmas Day holiday - Monday 26 December 2022
- Boxing Day holiday - Tuesday 27 December 2022
- New Year's Day holiday - Monday 2 January 2023
- New Year's Day holiday - Tuesday 3 January 2023
Records and indexes available
You can access index-linked digital images of the following records:
- Statutory registers of births, deaths and marriages (from 1855)
- Old Parish Registers (1553-1855)
- Catholic parish registers (from 1703 with cut-offs of 100 years for births and other events, 75 for marriages and 50 for deaths)
- Census records (1841-1911)
- Coats of arms (1672-100 years ago)
- Highland and Island Emigration Society records
- Military Service Appeals Tribunal records (1916-1918)
- Prison registers (1867-1921)
- Soldiers' and airmen's wills (1857-1965)
- Valuation rolls (1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1920, 1925, 1930, 1935 and 1940)
- Wills and testaments (1513-1925)
You can also search indexes of the following:
- Statutory register of divorces (from 1 May 1984)
- Statutory register of civil partnerships (from 2005)
- Statutory register of dissolutions of a civil partnership (from 2007)
You can view images in Virtual Volumes (1559-1900)
- These images contain a watermark which can only be removed if the image is purchased and saved to your personal account for two credits and then downloaded from your saved volumes.
The National Records of Scotland website provides further information about:
- The status of other NRS services (including the Historical Search Room)
- Disabled access and facilities
- Archivists' Garden
Local family history centres
There are several centres elsewhere in Scotland which provide access to the ScotlandsPeople Centre search system. Please note that their opening times may be affected by COVID restrictions. Information about this and their services is provided on their websites: