Volume contents
- 1 - Port of Menteith , page 1(start)
- 10 - Port of Menteith , page 10
- 20 - Port of Menteith , page 20
- 30 - Port of Menteith , page 30
- 40 - Port of Menteith , page 40
- 50 - Port of Menteith , page 50
- 60 - Port of Menteith , page 60
- 70 - Port of Menteith , page 70
- 80 - Port of Menteith , page 80
- 89 - Port of Menteith , page 89 (end)
- 90 - Port of Menteith , page 90
- 91 - Port of Menteith , title page
- 92 - Port of Menteith , index
| List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Priory continued | [continued from page 44] these apartments the materials seem to have been used for the construction of the more modern of the edifices in the neighbourhood of Talla and of a Mausoleum in Inchmahome, which consisting partly of a Vault and an apartment above; and partly of an avenue, shut in by 2 walls, and at the west end by a gateway, and running obliquely from Northeast to Southwest, Surmounts part of the foundations of the church and dormitory. For the awkward position of this more recent structure no reason can be assigned, but a total absence of design. It seems to have been hurriedly got up to receive the remains of Lord Kilpont, who was killed by James Stewart of Ardvorlich in Montrose's Camp at Collace in 1644, and whose corpse was by Montrose dispatched to the deceased's father, William eight Earl of Monteith of the Grahams, then a state prisoner in Talla. The two walls and the gateway above mentioned were built in consequence of the testiment of Kilponts son, William the last of the Earls. Towards the centre of the choir and in a horizontal position, is a sepulchral monument, assignable to the end of the Thirteenth century, being that of Walter Stewart, Earl of Monteith, and his Countess in whose right he enjoyed the Earldom. The Church; of which the building was commenced in or soon after the year 1238 by Walter Cummin, Earl of Monteith, was probably by his immediate successor viz Walter Stewart, and received from either him, or his Countess this appropriate decoration. The Priory of Inchmahome was, from before September 1547 to the end of February following, the seat of the Scottish Court. Soon after the disastrous battle of Pinky, the Regent Arran, by advice of the Queen mother, the Earls of Angus, Argyle, Rothes Cassilis, and others at Stirling, suddenly conveyed the infant Queen Mary to Inchmahome, and commited her to the joint care of the Lords of Erskine And Livingstone." "The island on which this very ancient religious house stood was formerly divided into nearly equal parts on the east, containing the Priory with its garden, and [Continued on page 46] |
Continued entries/extra info
[Page] 45
Ordnance Survey - Perth county, OS Name Books - Perth county - Volume 69 - Parish of Port of Menteith, OS1/25/69
This volume contains information found in the parish of Port of Menteith.
Ordnance Survey - Perth county
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the county of Perth, which is in central Scotland. The boundaries of the county were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.