Volume contents
| List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| PAXTON HOUSE | Paxton House Paxton House Paxton House |
Mr Miln Home proprietor Capt [Captain] Ramsey Paxton House Mr Nisbet Paxton South Mains |
018.09 | A commodious mansion of modern construction pleasantly situated on the north bank of the River Tweed, and surrounded by a large [?] well stocked with wood there are extensive offices and a large garden attached. It is the property of Mr Miln Home, and tenanted by Capt [Captain] Ramsey R.A. [Royal Artillery] |
| PAXTON BURN | Paxton Burn Paxton Burn Paxton Burn |
Mr Miln Home Captain Ramsay Mr Nisbet |
018.05 ; 018.09 | A small stream rising [?] the north side of Spital House and flowing southward, through Paxton farms where it [joins] Linn Burn & Nabdean Burn from which point the united streams takes [name] of Linn Burn [down] to the [Tweed?]_ |
Continued entries/extra info
[Page] 38
Parish of Hutton
Sheet 18 No 9 -
Described by G. Turner RS&[M?] [Royal Sappers & Miners]
Transcriber's notes
The abbreviation R.A. [Royal Artillery], following the name Captain Ramsey [sic], is confirmed from the transcription of 1851 census for Hutton.
Difficulty in deciphering some words on this page due to fold and faint writing - shown in [ ]. "Tweed" is a best guess, as this is where the Linn Burn flows into.
Words/letters lost in fold - passed to SP Office.
Ordnance Survey - Berwick county, OS Name Books - Berwick county - Volume 25 - Parish of Hutton, OS1/5/25
This volume contains information on place names found in the parish of Hutton.
Ordnance Survey - Berwick county
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the county of Berwick, which is in the south east of Scotland. The boundaries of the county were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.