Skip to main content

Ordnance Survey - Argyll county, OS Name Books - Argyll county - Volume 50 - Parishes found on OS 6-inch map sheets XXXII, XXXIII, XXXLV, XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII, LX, LXXVI and XC, OS1/2/50

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 127
Sheet 90 -- Argyllshire

Airidh chas - tulaich Cancelled this name being retained to a modern steading a mile south see trace 8
A Gwin Serj [Serjeant] RE [Royal Engineers] 5.10.69

"Airidh-eas-tulaich" or "Airidh-eastulaich" or Airidh Eas-tulaich or "Airidh Eastulaich" Sheiling of (the) steep hillock.

"Tom Barr an Stalcaidh," Hill of the Stiffened Top.

Tom Barr an Stalcaidh - See Remark

The genitive an of the article is prefixed to the genitive sing [singular] of nouns mas. [masculine] beginning with st. as fuainn an stuic not fuainn a' stuic

Ordnance Survey - Argyll county, OS Name Books - Argyll county - Volume 50 - Parishes found on OS 6-inch map sheets XXXII, XXXIII, XXXLV, XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII, LX, LXXVI and XC, OS1/2/50

This volume contains information on place names found in the parishes of Lismore and Appin, Ardchattan, Muckairn and Glenorchy and Inishail.

Ordnance Survey - Argyll county

Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the county of Argyll, which is in the west of Scotland. The boundaries of the county were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.

View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Argyll county