Volume contents
| List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| PITCRUVIE | Pitcruvie Pitcruvie Pitcruvie Pitcruvie |
James Forgan, Pitcruvie Mr D Dundass Esqr of Largo Mr Smeal Map of Estate |
025 | Largo House & offices. Commonly called Balruvie - in all writings between proprietor & tenant. A is Pitcruvie. A large farm house and office houses all in good repair Attached to it is a large farm of ground the property of Mr D Dundass and occupied by James Forgan |
| PITCRUVIE CASTLE (Ruins of) | Pitcruvie Castle (Ruins of) Pitcruvie Castle (Ruins of) Pitcruvie Castle (Ruins of) |
James Forgan, Pitcruvie Mr D Dundass Esqr of Largo Mr Smeal, Largo |
025 | The ruins of an old castle on the farm of Pitcruvie & situated near the farm house. It is a square stone building the walls of which are at present 2 storys high and roofless they are about 7 feet thick and indented embrasures. It was formerly much larger but there is now no other remains. The date of its erections is unknown. Leighton in his history of Fife supposes it to have been built by Sir John Lindsay who obtained a charter of the lands of Pitcruvie & others in the year 1498. |
Continued entries/extra info
[Page] 60 No 136
List of Names collected by Thomas Smith C. Asst [Civilian Assistant]
Plan 25B Trace 1
[Signed] Thomas Smith 26th May 1853
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 97 - Parishes of Largo and Newburn, OS1/13/97
This volume contains information on the place names found in the parishes of Largo, and Newburn.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.
View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties