Volume contents
| List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| GAS WORKS [Earlsferry] | Gas Works Gas Works Gas Works |
Alexander Finlayson Grangehill Thomas Fenwick Elie John Bennet Earlsferry |
026 | A gasometer offices and small dwelling house all in good repair and enclosed with a wellbuilt wall, the whole being the joint property of a Company and constructed by them for the purpose of lighting the villages of Earlsferry & Elie with gas and for the manufacture of the same. |
| CHAPEL (Ruins of) [Earlsferry] | Chapel (ancient) (in ruins) Chapel (ancient) (in ruins) Chapel (ancient) (in ruins) |
Alexander Finlayson Grangehill Thomas Fenwick Elie John Bennet Earlsferry |
026 | The ruins of a Chapel situated at the west end of the village of Earlsferry. one of the gables stands at its full original height the remains of the other and both the walls are about 3 feet high It was erected in the year 1093 by McDuff Earl of Fife in token of gratitude for the kindness which he received from the inhabitants & fishermen of Earlsferry. While flying from the jealous vengance of Macbeth, after the overthrow of the latter & Macduff's consequent restoration to favour, under Malcolm II. on a stone in the standing gable is the following inscription. "Chapel built by McDuff Earl of Fife 1093. Repaired in 1830" The roofless walls, as above described were repaired and plastered anew for preservation of this ancient relic in the year 1830 - and the stone with the given inscription inserted in the same. and the stone with the given inscription inserted in the same |
Continued entries/extra info
78 List of Names collected by Thomas Smith C.Asst [Civil Assistnt]
[Parish of] Kilconquhar Plan 26C Trace 4
[page signed] T Smith ca [Civilian Assistant]
11 May 1853
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 81 - Parishes of Newburn, Kilconquar and Elie, OS1/13/81
This volume contains information on the place names found in the parishes of Newburn, Kilconquar, and Elie.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.
View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties