Volume contents
| List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| TOWN HOUSE [Earlsferry] | Town House Town House Town House |
Alexander Finlayson Grangehill Thomas Fenwick South Street Elie John Bennet Earlsferry Mr. Reddick Ph [Parish] Schoolmaster Elie |
026 | A small stone building in good repair and surmounted by a low square tower on which is a short spire in the former there is a clock and bell it contains a Townhall for the meetings of Magistrates and Councillors. and a small wretched cell which forms the prison for criminals fortunately it is little if at all used Debtors when there are any are confined in the Townhall and sleep in a small room adjoining formerly the Town was governed by about 15 Councillors and a Treasurer. Since the late"Burgh act" no elections took place consequently no such authorities now exist On a stone in the side of the spire is the following "E F 1779" I cannot learn what it means. |
Continued entries/extra info
77 List of Names collected by Thomas Smith C. Asst [Civil Assistant]
[Parish of] Kilconquhar Plan 26C Trace 4
[page signed] Thomas Smith C. Asst [Civil Assistant]
7th May 1853
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 81 - Parishes of Newburn, Kilconquar and Elie, OS1/13/81
This volume contains information on the place names found in the parishes of Newburn, Kilconquar, and Elie.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.
View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties