Volume contents
| List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| ST MARY'S COLLEGE on the Site of The Pedagogy | St Mary's College St Mary's College |
Messrs Grace & Yule Factors to the College St Andrews Walter F Ireland Esq Writer St Andrews |
012 | This College is built on the South side of the South Street with two wings one of which is occupied by the principal and as lecture rooms while the other is the University Library, which is open to both Colleges, it is stated the Scottish parliament was formerly held in it. It is wholly devoted to Theology having a principal (Dr Haldane) and 3 professors and supported partly from lands & part from a government grant. The average attendance of Students is about 55 - "About the time that St Leonards College was founded the buildings appropriated to the original institution of Pedagogy having fallen into disrepair and the funds set apart for the support of its teachers being found inadequate the design was formed of repairing the buildings and erecting into a college with a suitable endowment. The design for some reason was not immediately adopted but in 1537 archbishop James Beaton obtained the sanction of the Pope and began the new buildings of the College to be designated St Mary's College. After his death Cardinal Beaton his nephew proceeded with the undertaking but it being still incomplete at the time of his murder it was completed by his Successor archbishop Hamilton. He intended that it should consist of a principal 8 professors and 24 bursars in theology and philosophy besides attendants and for their maintenance he appropriated the tithes of the parishes of Tannadice Tynningham Laurencekirk Pert, Tarvet and Craig" See Leighton's Hist. [History] of Fife vol. [volume] lll [3] pp [pages] 24, 25. |
Continued entries/extra info
[Page] 69
Parish of St Andrews Sheet 1 Trace 12
South Side of South Street [Situation for St Mary's College]
[Signed] James McAnulty
Transcriber's notes
See also Pages 64, 65, 66 and 68 for continuation of Description.
The Description as transcribed, beginning "About the time that" appears on this page spread across several columns" No actual separate Spelling or Authority is given for the "Pedagogy" as a separate name.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 101 - Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards, OS1/13/101
This volume contains information on the place names found in the parish of St Andrews and St Leonards.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.
View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties