Skip to main content

Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 101 - Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards, OS1/13/101

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 68
Parish of St Andrews

"The University of St Andrews was originally founded by bishop Wardlaw in 1410 and was the first institution of the kind in Scotland. For an account of the foundation of this institution its first professors and their objects of Study and the ceremonies and rejoicing which took place when it had received the sanction of a papal bull see vol. [volume 1 pp [pages] 73 and 74. The site of the original buildings of the institution which for a long time received no higher title than the Pedagogium was on the ground now occupied by St Mary's College but it had apartments in other parts of the city. Bishop Kennedy, the successor of Wardlaw imitating his noble example founded and endowed the college of St Salvator". See Leighton's Hist. [History] of Fife vol. [volume] lll [3] p. [page] 24

Transcriber's notes

Continuation of Description for "St Mary's College"

Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 101 - Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards, OS1/13/101

This volume contains information on the place names found in the parish of St Andrews and St Leonards.

Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties

Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.

View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties