Skip to main content

Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 101 - Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards, OS1/13/101

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 65

"St Mary's College. The site is supposed to have been that of the original Pedagogium. On the north side of the quadrangle is the university library and on the west side are the divinity Hall and the principal's lodge. There was once a chapel in this college dedicated to St John the Evangelist which was it must have stood east and west probably occupied the south side of the quadrangle and this derives confirmation from a certain adjoining tenement being described in a charter of 1494 as situated between the Chapel of St John the Evangelist and the school of the University of St Andrews on the west and Butlers or (West-burn) Wynd on the east" etc etc Lyon's Hist. [History] of St Andrews vol [volume ll [2] p. [page] 210

Archbishop Stewart says Martine augmented the Stipends of the professors of the pedagogie (the name) still given to Bishop Wardlaws foundation which formerlie [formerly] were but small and gave to them the fruits of the of the church of St Michael of Larret [Tarvit ?] near Couper [Cupar]. He rebuilt the chapel of St John the Evangelist in the pedagogie but where it stood is now uncertain. The original charter conveying the church St Michael to the college which afterwards became St Mary's still exists but the concluding part of it illegible Ibid [Lyon's History of St Andrews] vol. [volume] 1 p. [page] 253

"We have already seen that Archbishop A. Stewart had changed the original pedagogium into a college and annexed to it the parish church of St Michael of Tarbet [Tarvit ?] and now the two Beatons in virtue of a bull which they procured from [Pope] Paul lll [3], in 1537 dedicated [continues]

Transcriber's notes

Continuation of Description for "St Mary's College"

Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 101 - Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards, OS1/13/101

This volume contains information on the place names found in the parish of St Andrews and St Leonards.

Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties

Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.

View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties