Volume contents
Continued entries/extra info
[Page] 58
"named Fratres predicatores or preaching friars because their peculiar office was to preach against heresy. They were also called Black Friars from their wearing a black cross upon a white cloak. They were exempt from episcopal control and were at liberty to confess and give the Sacraments to those who applied to them. What little property belonged to this branch of the order was at the Reformation conveyed by Queen Mary to the provost and magistrates of the city" Lyons Hist. [History] of St Andrews vol. [volume] 1 page 126
Transcriber's notes
Continuation of Description of "Black Friars Chapel" from Page 57.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 101 - Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards, OS1/13/101
This volume contains information on the place names found in the parish of St Andrews and St Leonards.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.
View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties