Volume contents
| List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Site of BLACK FRIARS' MONASTERY | Site of Black Friars monastery | Rev C.J. Lyon St Andrews Map of St Andrews History of St Andrews |
012 | The Black Friars' Monastery stood in the quadrangle immediately South of the Black Friars Chapel (remains of), but nothing of this Monastery now remains except the North transept of the Chapel of this convent. "Near the end of the thirteenth century bishop Wishart founded and endowed a monastery of Dominican or Black Friars in South Street. After the reformation the ground on which it stood came to Lord Seaton and from him to Spens of Lathallan. It afterwards became the property of Dr Patrick Young, archdeacon of St Andrews, who granted it to the town as a site for a grammar school. The late Dr Bell obtained it from the town and upon it with some other ground he had purchased the Madras College has been erected. In front of that institution are the remains of the north transept of the chapel of this convent and which has been railed in in for its preservation. Judging by what is left it has been an elegant building in the early English Style of pointed architecture" - Leightons Hist [History] of Fife col. [volume] lll [3] p. [page] 23. |
Continued entries/extra info
[Page] 56
St Andrews Sheet 3 Trace 10
South side of South Street [Situation]
(1274) [date under Name]
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 101 - Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards, OS1/13/101
This volume contains information on the place names found in the parish of St Andrews and St Leonards.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.
View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties