Volume contents
| List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| TOWN CHURCH formerly Trinity Church | Town Church Town Church Trinity or Parish Church Town Church Parish Church Ecclesia parochialis sancta Tunitatis Town Church Town Church |
John Ramsay St Andrews George Boyack Convenor etc St Andrews Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account for Scotland] 1845 map of St Andrews 1843 Fullarton's Gazetteer 1847 Birds Eye view of St Andrews about 1530 Sibbalds Hist. [History] of Fife p. [page] 352 Leighton's Hist. [History] vol. [volume] 3 p. [page] 33 |
012 | This Church is of a very plain style of architecture, but very large and was rebuilt in 1798 on the site of the old Parish Church said to be erected by Bishop Turgot so long ago as the year 1112. It is attended by two Ministers Dr Robert Haldane as first and the Rev George Buist 2nd. It is seated for about 2200 persons, comprising about 1100 Communicants, there is a Monument to the memory of Archbishop Sharp who was murdered in 1679 on Magus Muir, in the South wing of it. The first Minister receives on an average about £900 yearly & the 2nd £350 |
Continued entries/extra info
[Page] 38
Parish of St Andrews Sheet 1 Trace 7
North Side of South Street [Situation]
[Signed] James McAna [McAnally] CA [Clerical Assistant or Civilian Assistant]
Transcriber's notes
Some words are partly lost in tight binding of right margin on this page.
The Description continues on Page 39.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties, OS Name Books - Fife and Kinross county - Volume 101 - Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards, OS1/13/101
This volume contains information on the place names found in the parish of St Andrews and St Leonards.
Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties
Ordnance Survey was established in the 18th century to create maps, surveys and associated records for the entirety of Great Britain. These records are arranged by county. This entry has been created to enable searching for Ordnance Survey records for the counties of Fife in the east of Scotland and Kinross in central Scotland. The boundaries of these counties were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.
View more volumes for Ordnance Survey - Fife and Kinross counties