Skip to main content

Edinburgh - Portsburgh Associate, United Presbyterian kirk session

A secession church court. It originated as an Associate Congregation which was finally sanctioned by the Burgher Presbytery in 1791 and the first minister was appointed in 1792. It met for worship in Portsburgh, in the Vennel. The congregation passed to the United Presbyterian Church in 1847. In 1859 it left the Vennel and moved to Lauriston Place, changing its name to Lauriston Place United Presbyterian church. The congregation passed to the United Free Church in 1900, and to the Church of Scotland, as Edinburgh Lauriston. It then united with Edinburgh Chalmers as Edinburgh Chalmers Lauriston in 1958.

Records available

No records found in Virtual Volumes on Scotland’s People. Records might be available at the National Records of Scotland (NRS). Please consult the NRS catalogue.