Skip to main content

Newcastleton - South United Presbyterian, United Free, Church of Scotland kirk session

A secession church court. It began as a Burgher congregation before 1762. It was originally known as Liddesdale, but the name was changed to Castleton or Newcastleton in 1804. The congregation passed to the United Secession church in 1820, the United Presbyterian church in 1847, the United Free Church in 1900 as Newcastleton South, and to the Church of Scotland in 1929. It united in 1934 with the congregation of Newcastleton Park, when the charge became known as Newcastleton. It was reduced in status in 1940 and in 1946 it united with Castleton parish.

Records available

No records found in Virtual Volumes on Scotland’s People. Records might be available at the National Records of Scotland (NRS). Please consult the NRS catalogue.