The ScotlandsPeople Centre is the official government resource for family history research. It is located in central Edinburgh with search rooms in General Register House. Staff are on hand to offer help and advice.
You can book a day search place online for £15 per day using our online booking system. See our charges for further details. To book simply select the date, your preferred search room and seat location and pay for the search place ahead of your visit. Your ticket is valid all day and you may arrive at any time.
If you are not an existing ScotlandsPeople customer you need to register at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk in order to make an online seat booking.
Once you have completed your booking you will receive a confirmation email and your ticket. You will need to present your ticket to staff when you arrive at the Centre.
The Centre is open 9:00 to 16:30 from Monday to Friday except some public holidays which for the period up to 31 January 2019 are:
- Monday 17 September 2018
- Tuesday 25 December 2018
- Wednesday 26 December 2018
- Tuesday 1 January 2019
- Wednesday 2 January 2019
Whilst at the Centre you are able to save the results of your research on historic records to your ScotlandsPeople account which is available on line.
Records and indexes available
You can access index-linked digital images of the following records:
- Statutory registers of births, deaths and marriages (from 1855)
- Old Parish Registers (1553-1854)
- Catholic parish registers (1703-1964)
- Census records (1841-1911)
- Coats of arms (1672-100 years ago)
- Military Service Appeals Tribunal records (1916-1918)
- Soldiers' and airmen's wills (1857-1965)
- Valuation rolls (1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1920, 1925 and 1930)
- Wills and testaments (1513-1925)
You can also search indexes and request certificates (also known as extracts) of the following:
- Statutory register of divorces (from 1 May 1984)
- Statutory register of civil partnerships (from 2005)
- Statutory register of dissolutions of a civil partnership (from 2007)
- Adopted Children's Register (from 1930) with restricted access - please ask staff for more details
Please note that credits purchased for the ScotlandsPeople website are valid at the ScotlandsPeople Centre but cannot be used to purchase day search places.
- Fees and charges
- Locations of the buildings and search rooms
- Disabled access and facilities
- Introductory family history talks
- Group evening visits
- Hiring the Dome Seminar facility and meeting rooms in New Register House
- Archivists' Garden
Local family history centres
There are several centres elsewhere in Scotland which provide access to the ScotlandsPeople Centre search system. Further information is provided on their websites: