A county in the west of Scotland, also known as Dunbartonshire. The boundaries of the county were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891. Counties (as local government areas) were abolished in Scotland in 1975.
Maps and plans
Search for maps and plans of Dunbarton county.
Civil registration of birth, marriage and death in Scotland began in 1855. Search the statutory registers for registration districts in Dunbarton county.
Baptisms, marriages and burials were recorded by churches. Church of Scotland registers before 1855 became the Old Parish Registers in the care of the Registrar General for Scotland. Search church registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and other events for Church of Scotland parishes, Roman Catholic congregations and other church congregations in Dunbarton county.
Population censuses have been taken every ten years in Scotland since 1801 and census returns for households survive from 1841 onwards. Search the census returns for census enumeration districts in Dunbarton county.
Valuation rolls are local tax rolls, listing most properties and their owners and occupiers. They were compiled in Scotland from 1855 onwards. Search valuation rolls for parishes and burghs in Dunbarton county.
Wills and testaments
Wills and testaments for people in Dunbarton county were registered in the following commissary courts and sheriff courts (with National Records of Scotland reference codes in brackets):
- Dumbarton Sheriff Court Inventories and Wills, 1824-1925 (SC65), includes testaments relating to Dunbartonshire.
- Glasgow Commissary Court, 1547-1823 (CC9), includes testaments relating to parts of Ayrshire, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire and Stirlingshire.
- Hamilton & Campsie Commissary Court, 1564-1823 (CC10), includes testaments relating to parts of Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, and Stirlingshire.
- Stirling Commissary Court, 1607-1823 (CC21), includes testaments relating to Clackmannanshire, Dunbartonshire, Fife, Kinross-shire, Stirlingshire.
- Edinburgh Commissary Court, 1514-1829 (CC8), includes testaments relating to Midlothian, East Lothian and West Lothian, and, under certain conditions, to all areas of Scotland, and to most Scots who died abroad.
- Edinburgh Sheriff Court Inventories, 1808-1925 (SC70), includes testaments relating to Midlothian and, under certain conditions, to all areas of Scotland, and to most Scots who died abroad.
- Edinburgh Sheriff Court Wills, 1844-1925 (SC70), includes testaments relating to Midlothian and, under certain conditions, to all areas of Scotland, and to most Scots who died abroad.
- Non-Scottish Courts, 1858-1900 (SC70), includes testaments relating to Scots who died in England and other foreign countries.
Search for wills and testaments for people and places in Dunbarton county.
Coats of Arms
Search the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings for coats of arms connected with people and places in Dunbarton county.