Within our indexed records collection, you can search our indexes free of charge and use pay-per-view to view and download digital images of the records you find. The indexes cover birth, death and marriage registers, census returns, church registers, valuation rolls and legal records (like wills and testaments and coats of arms). The number of credits and costs of digital images for the different record types are as follows:
- Statutory registers of births (older than 100 years), marriages (older than 75 years) and deaths (older than 50 years) cost 6 credits (£1.50)
- Census returns and church registers of births and baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials and other events cost 6 credits (£1.50)
- Valuation rolls cost 2 credits (£0.50)
- Wills and testaments (including soldiers' and airmen's wills) cost 10 credits (£2.50) - this is the cost of the entire document, which is usually two or three pages, but can be more than 100 pages long
- Military Service Appeals Tribunal records cost 20 credits (£5.00) - this is the cost of the entire document which is usually about three or four pages long but can be much longer.
- Coats of Arms (entries from the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland) costs 40 credits (£10.00)
- High quality TIFF images from the Image Library cost £15.00 each (excluding VAT). Payment can be made by WorldPay, cheque, invoice, credit card or cash.
Free to View, Pay to Save
We have made some un-indexed records available for you to browse. Registered users may search for the ‘Virtual Volumes’ of these unindexed records and then browse through the images on the site at no charge. If you wish to save or download a copy, each image costs 2 credits (£0.50).
Most purchases are made using Credits which cost £0.25 each and are available in batches of 30 (£7.50) or 40 (£10).
All credits are valid for two years and will expire at the end of two years unless further credits are purchased in that time.
It's free to register on the site.
To order official certificates of statutory birth, death, marriage, divorce, civil partnership and dissolutions of a civil partnership records go to certificate search. A credit or debit card is required for this service. Fees for certificates and the costs of different postage options are shown on the ordering certificates page.
All vouchers are valid for 2 years form the date of purchase. Once redeemed the credits are valid for a further two years unless further credits are purchased during that time.
To buy a ScotlandsPeople voucher please visit our buy vouchers page.
To redeem a ScotlandsPeople voucher please visit our redeem vouchers page.
Visiting ScotlandsPeople Centre
The Dundas Room has re-opened with a restricted service due to ongoing Coronavirus restrictions.
To book a search room seat at the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh costs £7.50 per day whilst a restricted service applies. Find out more. No printing is currently available. You can save copies of the historical records you find to your account, the same pay-per-view charges will apply.
Online seat booking is currently not available but will be launched in the coming weeks.